While this blog first began as a journaling experience after my 2nd trimester loss, it has evolved into a spot where I can express my emotions directly to my boys, who I know are watching over me and their family.
The other end I had in view turns out to have been based on a misunderstanding. I thought I could describe a state; make a map of sorrow. Sorrow, however, turns out to be not a state but a process. It needs not a map, but a history...C.S. Lewis
Mommy loves you Robert, and I am so sorry. I miss you so much!!!
I am writing this blog not just as a way to me to give my sorrow its history, but to maybe help those who are going through the same sad journey. If you are reading this and know someone who needs to know they are not alone in their sorrow, please feel free to share it.
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Protection
Protection...everyone has tried so hard to protect these last 2 months. From needless worry, anxiety, stress, decision making, family issues. Our moms have been doing what moms do best--calling and checking on us daily, listening and offering advice, and when needed, arguing for us (and for them). But the kicker of the situation is that the things they are trying to protect us from now are so petty and minute compared to the loss of our son--that no one could have protected us from. My husband couldn't protect me from the procedures, from bleeding so much in the hospital, from the harsh reality that my baby bump just seemed to disappear overnight. I couldn't protect him from the fact that he doesn't get to feel his son kick, or hold his son in 2 months. Neither of us can protect each other of the hurt we feel when we walk into the nursery, and where the glider and crib should be, instead is an urn with the cremains of our son, with the only pictures we have of him on the wall. We can't protect each other from the reality that even if we try again, and are blessed with another baby, we might suffer this heartache again.
Today I have been feeling odd. Almost like I'm on the verge of a bad day. But nothing has really happened to make me feel this way. Yes, I had to go out and help him shovel again, when I mentally kept reminding myself that I should have been inside, but that doesn't matter right now. There is no baby in my uterus...I can push myself as hard as I want. Except that my body has tricked itself into thinking that I might still be carrying a child, and even though I have been exercising like crazy, and watching my diet, my body has apparently put itself into starvation mode, and I am not losing any weight at all. Nobody could have protected me from the hurt I feel about my body just not cooperating so I can fit into my old clothes. (although i love my cousin who told me i'm still skinny). There's just some things you have to muddle through because there is no short cut or easy option. Sometimes people can't protect you, as much as they want too.
So Sunday, after all of our revelations and realizations that we have to be clearer in what we need to feel safe and protected with each other (and our families), we ran to target. (Side note...my daughter was with her dad, and had to be rushed to the ER because she fell on the floor and put a deep gash in her chin...5 stitches later she was discharged and numb, and we had an afternoon out that we weren't anticipating). We picked up the normal items, and found ourselves walking right past the baby aisle to get to the registers. I have successfully avoided baby sections (hah---i was protecting myself). But I wanted to see the price of a jogger stroller---the cause of his cousin making another rift between him and her, to see really, what was the big deal. It was only $100--apparently the price to insult and hurt your cousin beyond words, and then tell him your relationship was over. He and I had no idea it was so low, and went ok. That is actually a reasonably priced object, and when we'll need it (6 months after a baby is born) we should be able to manage to buy it. But while we were in the aisle, I choose to just look at the baby items. Mario was hesitant, because he didn't want me to hurt and break down, but allowed us to wander around. See, while we never registered, or picked out a pattern for the pack and play, stroller/travel system, and high chair, we never found a new one we liked. The weekend before we found out about our baby, I had contacted several people, and had plans to purchase their used items that we liked more. I had everything lined up, all the staples plus a breast pump. We were going to pick them up the weekend before Thanksgiving. The only thing we had actually picked out was the bedding.
But the first item we saw was an Eddie Bauer highchair--the old fashioned wood looking kind--not the big plastic kind. We really liked it. We liked the cushion too. So Mario went and found the stroller system, and called me over, and we both loved it! We found the pack and play, and realized that we actually loved this pattern!
See, his cousin and I traded jogger strollers a while back--my double for her single. When we found out the baby died, I returned any baby items I had except the jogger. I just didn't need the reminders of what we had lost. But the stroller, which was needed for a 6month old or older baby, was the one piece of hope we were holding onto that maybe, maybe we would try again, and get our take home baby. It was in the garage, so we could go and glance at it, and take a deep breathe and know that maybe we would be able to move past the darkness and sadness, and try again. When his cousin demanded it back, because they needed it now, and wouldn't trade back the stroller, it struck a nerve with us. It was like they were telling us that we weren't going to ever need it again. They were assuming that because our baby died at 5 months, we weren't going to get an opportunity to try again and succeed, so they just wanted it back and didn't want to return our double stroller because they still needed it. We are sensitive, and we are allowed to be right now. But how they handled this situation was just wrong. And its something my husband won't get over anytime soon. We did end up deciding that it was better for us as a couple, and future parents, to just give them the damn stroller, and buy a new one with no negativity attached to it (or those who were not wishing us well).
Anyway, back to Target. We now have no baby stuff, nothing. I felt hopeless-I had nothing to cling too besides memories. But here we were, looking at a pattern we absolutely adore. It took so much self control not to buy all three pieces on the spot...because he and i looked at each other, and acknowledged that we were crazy, but we wanted something tangible to hold on to. We never ordered the crib, we never bought baby clothes. To protect ourselves in case something bad happened (which it did), we didn't buy anything that might remind us of what we lost. But in doing that, we were left with empty arms, and an empty room, and no hope of a bright future. I know that he and I want to buy the baby items now to protect us from the reminder that there might not be a baby in 2 months, but it doesn't mean it won't even happen. In protecting ourselves from hurting, we actually ended up being more hurt because we lost hope. I hope that makes sense, because while it makes sense to me, it may not to anyone else.
So we controlled ourselves, and called our moms to see if we were crazy. We were told we weren't. We then decided that one paycheck a month we are going to go out and buy one item for our next baby. We don't know when that will be, but who knows, maybe when we are done buying all these baby items we'll get the biggest surprise of all-a second chance. And the next time, I don't think he or I will try to distance ourselves from the baby, but instead embrace and enjoy everything moment we will have. Sometimes protection isn't always a good thing because you miss out on all the little moments you won't release/open your heart too.
great processing. I like the way you came up with a resolution. (save up to buy something each month)
ReplyDeletethanks mimi! our counselor was impressed too by how far we have come in such a short amount of time. :-) unfortunately i still can't handle being around pregnant women or babies--hopefully that'll be the next step!
ReplyDelete