While this blog first began as a journaling experience after my 2nd trimester loss, it has evolved into a spot where I can express my emotions directly to my boys, who I know are watching over me and their family.
The other end I had in view turns out to have been based on a misunderstanding. I thought I could describe a state; make a map of sorrow. Sorrow, however, turns out to be not a state but a process. It needs not a map, but a history...C.S. Lewis
Mommy loves you Robert, and I am so sorry. I miss you so much!!!
I am writing this blog not just as a way to me to give my sorrow its history, but to maybe help those who are going through the same sad journey. If you are reading this and know someone who needs to know they are not alone in their sorrow, please feel free to share it.
Monday, January 3, 2011
No Guarantees
But I was hesitant going back to work today--almost worse than the first day of school jitters. This year is going to be very different from what I had envisioned. Instead of going out on leave in approximately 8 -10 weeks, I am in school through June, with a summer job lined up pending approval for the deli. There are other issues at work, that I really feel are so unimportant, but you still have to handle them. And I really do have to have faith that things are just going to work out, and obviously Mario and I are poor planners because the life we had planned for slipped through our fingers. My job, my family, having another baby, somehow its just going to have to all work out, one way or another. Its a lot easier to type that than believe it!
But today, at work at the copier, a fellow teacher came up to me, and told me she didn't want to make me upset, but she wanted to share with me that she had 4 miscarriages, and that she knew what i was going through, but not really because her pregnancies were not as far along as mine. I told her I am learning that it doesn't matter--once we see the two lines, we are already new mommies. We talked about how we are both Christians, but even this has us perplexed and we don't understand why God could allow something like this to happen--such heartache and sorrow. We talked about the innocent belief of pregnant women about milestones: if you see "this" at 6 weeks, you are doing good. At 8 weeks if you see the heartbeat, that's great! At 12 weeks, at the end of the first trimester, and you see the heartbeat, you are in the clear until the anatomy scan. But if bloodwork comes back normal, and you are feeling okay, and the ultrasounds in between look good and baby is growing, then you should bring your baby home in your arms after 9 months--right? Wrong! There are no guarantees, even as late as the 39th week. But for new naive mothers, they allow themselves to believe the milestones guarantee because you can't fathom the reality of what if something did go wrong? And it was so nice, that even though I've posted this before on my board with my supportive group of ladies, to actually hear another mother bring it up! Life truly does have no guarantees. But she also wanted to tell me to have hope, and that one day I will have my take home baby. That this sad, dark time, will get better-never leave. I appreciated her coming up to me and sharing this with me. She said she realizes that no one talks about it--its a taboo subject, and i agree. Why can we light up message boards, and have blogs and online support groups, but where do we talk about it in real life? No one wants to hear that there are no guarantees--even in pregnancy. So does that mean our grief is less than others who have lost loved ones? Does it mean our little angels don't get to be remembered by anyone but ourselves and our families?
I don't think so. I'm sure it makes other people uncomfortable, but I need to talk about my son, and how he is watching over all of us right now. There was no guarantee I would hold him, and sing him to sleep, but there was the guarantee that I would love my little boy the moment I first knew I was carrying him.
I appreciate each person who allows me to speak of my grief, who understands I am not the same person I was 7 weeks ago, who is patient and lets me ramble, who comes up to me in parking lots and gives me a hug, because they know I need it and they want me to know they care, who allows me to stay in bed as long as I may need or work out as much as I want to make myself feel better, who helps to bring a little bit of happiness and distraction for my family when I just can't pull it together some days.
Chamilia charm bracelet--was special because my mother in law--your "nanny" gave me an angel charm. So all day today I kept touching the bracelets as a reminder of you and that although life may go on, there are no guarantees, but at least i have the fact that i love you very much, and know that you will always be my angel, watching me, your daddy, your sisters and the rest of your family.
This is beautiful. I agree with you 100%. I wish people will allow me to talk about my daughter but instead it is like she never existed. I look at her sonogram that only shows her hands every day and I want to scream SHE EXISTED LOOK AT HER HANDS!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your journey.
My doctor and I discussed the whole 'taboo' issue when I saw her three weeks ago -- a few years back, her sister in law had a still birth at 31 weeks. We talked about how the internet is bringing the topic out into the open. We also talked about how unfortunately, sadly, and selfishly (as you and I have both read), after about 4 weeks, folks want people to get on with their lives and 'stop being sad.' Keep writing, keep talking, keep listening, keep healing, keep loving and keep hoping! Your little Robert is a little angel who will bring about big change! (((hugs))) I love you - mommy
ReplyDeleteStacy & Mario-
ReplyDeleteI am grateful that you chose to share this with me. It has given me some insight into a something I have little experience with. I now have a clearer picture of my Grandmother. You see my Dad comes from a very large family. Whenever anyone would ask my dad how many brothers and sisters he had, he would say there were 9 all together and that he was the oldest surviving. He would say there had been a sister still born before him and he wasn't really the oldest.
I've heard my Grandmother answer that question the same way. She had 9 children. That's simply a fact. My dad knows it, his brothers and sisters know it. The grandkids know it. I know it. That little girl was counted and loved, even by the brothers and sisters that came after her. As a young child when I would hear that I didn't quite understand it. Later on, when I was a young mother and had a chance to talk to her about it, I learned to love and respect her even more. Her ability to keep that child alive in the family lore by never allowing someone to say there were only 8 children was one way she loved that child her whole life. I'm sure Robert will continue to be loved by both of you forever.
Sorry, I forgot to sign off before I posted. It's me Susan Romano. I think of you both often and please know your whole family is in my thoughts.
ReplyDelete